Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Praying for Rain

(Katie Corbett - Guest Writer, VA) Northern Georgia is in crisis. For several months there has been little significant rainfall. MSNBC is reporting that in 90 days the city of Atlanta will be completely devoid of water. Unfortunately for the residents of Atlanta, there is no backup plan in place. I can hardly imagine what life would be like if one day I turned on the faucet and nothing came out. Yes, I do drink mostly bottled water, but I do not wash my hands with it or enjoy my daily showers from it. To me, the idea of running out of water is absurd. This is Georgia, not the Sahara. So, as Bo Emerson, in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution states, “Desperate times call for desperate measures…we’re in desperate times.”

Enter the governor of Georgia, Sonny Perdue. Gov. Perdue feels that he has the answer. On November 13, 2007, Perdue called a prayer vigil to ask God to send much needed rain. At approximately 11:45 am on the capital steps many came forward to pray. The concept of praying for rain isn’t really new. American Indians have been dancing and praying to their gods for rain for centuries. The question plaguing me about this situation is "why the wait?" Why did he wait for desperation before hitting his knees? More importantly, why do I often do the same thing?

Just like the people of Georgia, I fear that prayer is often our last resort. When talking to several friends about what they do when they are in crisis, few of them said their first response was prayer. When problems arise, who are you mostly likely to turn to? Most I spoke to turned to thier friends for advice, while some turned to their parents, and others to a counselor. When asked where prayer comes in most answered, semi-bashfully, that prayer was almost at the bottom . . . a last resort. I know in my personal life--much like those Georgians--only when desperate times strike do I turn to my heavenly Father and ask Him for help.

Why do we do this? God wants us to ask. He says it over and over in His word…Philippians 4:6 says, “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be known to God.” Our God wants to help us. Furthermore, most of us know that God is the one with the answers, so why is it so difficult to ask? We trust Him enough to save our eternal souls, why can’t we trust him enough to help us with our everyday problems? The answer is WE SHOULD!

I hope that we will join the people of Georgia as they pray for rain, because they truly are desperate. Yes, desperate times do call for desperate measures, but wouldn’t it be nice to arrive at a place where we don’t see prayer as a measure reserved for desperation but as an everyday conversation with someone who loves us and wants the best for us?

Let it fall.

No comments: